This morning, we set out on a bike ride. I wanted to see the Dirty Kanza light, 20 mile route. Keep in mind this was my idea, Casey had rode this route many times, and I have never gone out of town on gravel or 20 miles.
Fortunately for us, the sun was out (yes, we put on sunscreen) and it was turning into a nice day. Unfortunately for us, the Kansas wind was a blowin'!! I didn't notice the wind until we got just outside of town on Hwy 99 going south, we were riding into the wind!
Casey was patient and stopped a lot for me to rest and get water. He kept telling me the ride home would be better with the wind at our backs....uh sure! It was a very pretty ride but, unfortunately, on the way out, I was too busy cursing the wind and trying to find the right gear for my bike to notice. Did I mention it was windy and we were riding into it!? My ass hurt, my hands kept going numb, my legs and knees were screaming at me! Why did I agree to this?!
My biker hubby and the long road ahead!
I looked amused, right? See the sign, it was telling me to turn around and go back home! We were only 1/4 of the way into our ride!
When we came to the turnpike, then went under the turnpike and kept going, I wondered where the hell he was taking me and how much further we were going! Maybe I could hitch a ride back into town? Granted, he said this route wasn't hilly, and it wasn't, except for toward the end of the 1/2 point. I didn't think I was going to make it and walked my bike part of the way, my legs wouldn't go anymore. Alas, I made it all but the last 1/4 mile (Casey had rode ahead and turned around to get me).
The ride home was easier, the wind at our backs, some downhill stretches, and seemed to go much faster than the first half! We didn't stop as often to conserve water but when we did stop, it became harder and harder to get back on and keep going!!
When I saw Hwy 99 again I was so happy to know we were almost home! 20 miles and 2/12 hours later, I barely made it into the driveway! It took me awhile to get off my bike and hobble into the house. I took the best cold shower ever, slathered myself with After-Sun gel (we got a little pink), and have been lounging on the couch since. Pinky fingers are still a little numb, ass still hurts and I know for sure I am going to be SORE tomorrow, BUT I DID IT!!!!
Things I learned on our Sunday ride...
1. I love my hubby and he has killer calves!
2. I can ride 20 miles!
3. I am never riding in the country, on gravel, in the wind 20 miles again!
4. Those DK 200 mile riders are CRAZY!
5. The ride was pretty and I wish I had taken more pictures. We saw NO SNAKES, bonus!!
6. I am an in town riding girl. I am putting my pink basket back on and sticking to shorter routes!
P.S. Dirty Kanza is a 200 mile gravel bike race through the Flinthills (Top 10 race in the country) that will take place in Emporia next weekend. We have many friends riding. There are plenty of festivities for the whole family starting Friday and ending with the Finish Line Party Saturday night (complete with music, food and a beer garden)! Come on down and help us celebrate (oh and it will be my birthday)!!!
1 comment:
Congratulations on making that 20 mile ride! I hurt just reading about it. And I want to see a picture of your pink basket :)
Post a Comment