Lucy was the best dog. I bought her in 2001 from an Idaho pet shop when she was about 6 weeks old. She was the cutest puppy and loved all the snow that first Winter!
As a walker hound/lab, she had many lab traits, but was more hound. She loved to bay, chase animals, and run in the country.
When we moved back home to Kansas she met other dogs, first Bella, then Auggie, Harry and Moogie. I know she preferred being an only dog and just tolerated all the other dogs. But she did love to chase and play tug of war!
Lucy loved to be outside...playing, sunning in the grass or out for walks! I am sure she preferred to be off her leash, but she never learned to obey or come when called. Casey called her Lucifer! As you can tell, she had a mind of her own, was very stubborn, but we loved her all the same!
Since she was a puppy, Lucy never liked storms or fireworks. She usually hid under my legs or in the bath tub....it's like she knew we were in Kansas and that is where you were suppose to go!
In May, we noticed a mass on her front leg. After taking her to the Emporia vet and K-State for more tests, we learned she had osteosarcoma....a common bone cancer for dogs. We opted not to amputate her front leg and knew we wouldn't have much more time with her. The cancer spread and she went downhill fast over the summer. We knew it was time, but I wasn't prepared for her to go so soon.
I loved her dark brown eyes, soft brown ears, funny black spots, snake licking tongue, sharp claws, and wet nose. She loved to sleep in late with me and snuggle on the couch. She was one of a kind and I will always love my Lucylu!!

No comments:
Post a Comment