Thursday, January 16, 2014

Brynn's Birth

Brynn's due date was Sunday, November 17th. I should back up and mention that Casey's busiest few months are October, November, and December....we didn't plan well....okay so we didn't plan at all!  The weeks leading up to my due date, we finally finished her nursery, had all the shower gifts put away, shopping finished and bags packed for the hospital. We had several panic moments and last minute "don't forget...." suggestions. I was feeling more uncomfortable and tired....I worked several half days the week she born. I was reading and re-reading all the baby books making sure we were ready, that I had everything packed, and looking for signs that she was coming! Everyone said, you will just know! For months, the girls at work were sure she was coming early. That week, Casey had several big events and leave it to our daughter to make her appearance on his busiest day!

On Thursday morning, the 14th, I woke up at 5am with back pain and couldn't sleep. By 7am, I was becoming more uncomfortable and having what I thought were mild contractions. I took a shower and gathered all my things, then I called Casey and called mom....I think it's time! Casey and mom were both of course on their way to work. Casey came home and we arrived at the hospital about 8:00-8:30. They put us in a room and wanted to monitor me and the contractions to see if I would stay or go home. (I did NOT want to go home!) As the morning progressed, so did my contractions....mainly in my back and every two minutes or so. (I will spare you the details and just say back labor SUCKS!) They finally decided I would stay, admit me officially with paperwork, and give me an epidural around noon. I had never been so happy for drugs and a big needle in all my life! Casey says I am the poster-woman for epidurals! By then, mom had arrived, and they both stayed with me the rest of the day.
Things progressed naturally, my water broke on it's own around 5pm and by 7:30, I was fully dilated. It was time to push! Throughout the entire pregnancy, the delivery was what I was worried about the most! I am very thankful that mom, Casey and several awesome nurses were there to coach me through. I was a little nauseous and an exhausted, emotional mess, but once the doctor arrived and I started pushing......our beautiful Brynn Addison Woods was born in less than a half hour.
Nothing prepares you for the moment the doctor places that wet, wrinkly bundle in your arms. I was still an exhausted, emotional (and cold) mess  and so much happened so fast around me. Casey cut her cord, the nurses took her and got her cleaned up, did tests, etc while Casey watched. The doc and nurses got me cleaned up and put back together (and warm blankets!). It is so surreal knowing that baby, that little person, was just inside me and now is here. WOW!

The next few hours and days are a blur....we got settled into our room and stayed in the hospital until Saturday afternoon. We had many visitors and Casey slept on a very uncomfortable couch/bed. We learned to give Brynn a bath and to swaddle, tried nursing, watched videos, and completed the hospital's checklist before we could leave. I was nervous about not having the nurses and help so close by, but we were anxious to get home! We loaded up our car and Dad's van with a surprising amount of gifts and flowers. A nurse checked our car seat and base, Brynn was clicked in and we were good to go!

Two days earlier entering the hospital, we were not prepared for the changes to come. Leaving that afternoon, we were the happiest and most scared all at the same time! We are parents now.....what did we just do!?!?!

2 comments:

Kalinda said...

Thank you for sharing the birth of little Brynn :) I love reading birth stories. I can't wait to snuggle her again!

Stampin Dj said...

Great narrative! Thanks for sharing!